DUKE ELLINGTON MUSIC SOCIETY
10/3 December 2010 - March 2011
Our 32nd Year of Publication
FOUNDER: BENNY AASLAND
Voort 18b, 2328 Meerle, Belgium
Telephone: +32 3 315 75 83
NEW RELEASES AND RE-RELEASES
Storyville 1038415, double CD (2010)
Duke Ellington at the Cotton Club
See DEMS 04/3-42
1. Soda Fountain Rag (Swing Session) 8May37
2. Solitude/In a Sentimental Mood 8May37
3. Harmony in Harlem 24Mar38
4. If You Were in My Place 24Mar38
5. Mood Indigo 24Mar38
6. Theme: East St.Louis Toodle-O 24Mar38
7. Theme: East St.Louis Toodle-O 24Mar38
8. Oh Babe, Maybe Someday 24Mar38
9. Dinah's in a Jam 24Mar38
10. If Dreams Come True 24Mar38
11. Skrontch (previously unissued) 24Mar38
12. You Went to My Head 17Apr38
13. Three Blind Mice 17Apr38
14. Solitude (previously unissued) 17Apr38
15. Downtown Uproar 17Apr38
16. Dinah's in a Jam 24Apr38
17. On the Sunny Side of the Street 24Apr38
18. Demi-Tasse (Evah Day) 24Apr38
19. Azure 24Apr38
20. Carnival in Caroline 24Apr38
21. Harmony in Harlem 1May38
22. At Your Back and Call 1May38
23. Solitude 1May38
24. Gal from Joe's 1May38
25. Ridin' on a Blue Note 1May38
26. If Dreams Come True 1May38
1. Oh Babe, Maybe Someday 8May38
2. I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart 8May38
3. Birmingham Breakdown 15May38
4. Rose Room 15May38
5. If Dreams Come True 15May38
6. It's the Dreamer in Me 15May38
7. Lost in Meditation 15May38
8. Demi-Tasse (Evah Day) 15May38
9. Echoes of Harlem 15May38
10. Theme: East St.Louis Toodle-O 22May38
11. Jig Walk 22May38
12. In a Sentimental Mood 22May38
13. I'm Slappin' Seventh Avenue 22May38
14. Lost in Meditation 22May38
15. Alabamy Home 22May38
16. If You Were in My Place 22May38
17. Prelude in C Sharp Minor 29May38
18. Rockin' in Rhythm 29May38
19. Serenade to Sweden 29Apr39
20. Rockin' in Rhythm 29Apr39
21. In a Red Little Cottage 29Apr39
22. Clip from British Pathé Newsreel "Harlem" from 1930.
This very nice release is produced by Carl Hällström. The sound quality is impeccable. The remastering was done by Bjørn Almstedt. The original source material came from Bo Haufman and the liner notes are written by Andrew Homzy.
Only a few tracks are not from the Cotton Club (CD1 tracks 1&2 and CD2 tracks 19-21). One existing recording from the Cotton Club was not included: Lost in Meditation from 5May38. The two recordings of this tune on CD2 tracks 7 and 14 are both with Ivie Anderson doing the vocal. The missing version from 5May38 is without vocal.
Two tracks are "fresh": CD1 tracks 11 and 14.
Track 22 from CD2 contains an extract lasting for a bit more than a minute from the six minutes British Pathé Newsreel "Harlem". I could not play this track on my old, or on my brand new DVD player. I managed however to play it back on my iMac, where it showed up on the desktop as an extra CD. The quality is very poor, although it contains a part of what probably is the soundtrack, which is missing from the complete newsreel. See DEMS 10/1-6.
You are right, unfortunately it is only possible to play the clip on a computer!
CD Red Line 300.048 (unknown year of release)
Duke Ellington - Love You Madly
My friend Frits Schjøtt has sent me a copy of this CD, to confirm the correct dates of recording.
This CD was not yet mentioned in DEMS Bulletin
1. One O'Clock Jump 16Jul46
2. Take the "A" Train 28Mar46
3. Crosstown 28Mar46
4. Jam with Sam 3Jul66
5. Primping at the Prom 22Dec52
6. Caravan 11May45
7. Harlem Speaks 18Mar37
8. Love You Madly 21Jan51
9. The Mooch 21Jan51
10. Ring dem Bells 21Jan51
11. Frustration 21Jan51
12. Coloratura 21Jan51
13. Rose of the Rio Grande 21Jan51
14. Pretty Woman 11Jul46
15. Perdido 28Mar46
Radio Archives' 10CD-Set #RA158 "Date With The Duke"
We have of course these recordings in our collection mainly as DETS LPs or CDs but the above AFRS rebroadcasts may still be of interest.
The set can be ordered directly from RadioArchives.com (as item RA158) for only USD 29.98 +shipping (USD 13.45 to Europe for delivery within 8-10 days).
It comes as a handsome folder and all 10 CDs sound quite good to my ears. The labels only show the AFRS-DWTD programme numbers, but we can easily trace the exact content using The New DESOR on pages 1289-1301. The used AFRS-DWTD programmes are: # 3-9, 12-14, 16, 22, 32, 34, 36-38, 65, 74 and 76; Apr45 -Aug46.